Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 1995 10:55:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Hovemeyer <daveho@infocom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Paul Retherford <paulr@infocom.com>
Subject:   NIS server & services.byname

Howdy all,

I've been working on a problem we've been having here with our
NIS server (running on 2.1.0-951020-SNAP).  The symptom is that
SunOS clients fail to get certain services from services.byname,
such as telnet/tcp.

What is happening is that the services.byname db file created
by /var/yp/Makefile is using just the service _name_ as the key.
This causes problems when (for example) telnet/tcp and telnet/udp
are added to the database: the second service added for the
same service name overwrites the first.

I ran ypserv in debug mode, and found that getservbyname() calls
on the SunOS client were requesting "telnet/tcp", not "telnet"
as the key.  So, I changed /var/yp/Makefile to use
servicename/transport for keys in the services.byname database.
This allowed (for example) both telnet/tcp and telnet/upd to be
added to the db file, and allowed SunOS clients to find services
correctly using getservbyname().

So, the two things I'd like to know now are
	1. is my fix correct, and
	2. who should I contact about resolving the problem

I used send-pr last week to submit a bug report (bin/853), but
at that point I didn't have a fix.

Dave
--
David Hovemeyer    | aclawisaclawandnobodyhasseenatalking | http://infoco