Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 02:28:48 -0000
From:      Jason <gremlin@dial.pipex.com>
To:        "'freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FD_SETSIZE and freeBSD 2.2.5

Hi,
we are running freeBSD 2.2.5. (and very good it is too: fast and stable)
We are about to connect apache to a mysql database. This will require   2
file descriptors (for the mysql process) per apache child. Reading   the
apache documentation suggests there may be a problem which limits the
number of file descriptors per process to 256 regardless of the current
settings of limit:
  >  > (from apache documentation concerning FreeBSD)  > If you are using a
version of 2.1-stable from after 1997/03/10 or 2.2 or 3.0-current from
before 1997/06/28,  there is a limit in the resolver library that prevents
it from using more file descriptors than what FD_SETSIZE is set to when
libc is  compiled. To increase this, you have to recompile libc with a
higher  FD_SETSIZE.
Does this apply to freeBSD 2.2.5? And if so, how do I recompile libc
safely?

Thanks,
Jason