Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 12:33:15 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Yoav Cohen-Sivan <ycs@netvision.net.il>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Info on link-editing

> Can anyone point me to a good in-depth discussion of the link-editing and
> symbols and relocations to generate the various object files.
>
> I've searched using every web engine I know of to no avail...

There is a reasonably succinct description of the FreeBSD a.out shared
library implementation in the link(5) manpage, which is well worth
reading even if it is a little historic now. 8)

The ELF documentation (which we should have a link to somewhere) should
cover the datastructures and processes related to ELF, from which you
can also learn a lot.

Aside from that, this is one of those journeyman topics that
traditionally one researches with source code and experimentation.  I
doubt that many CS compiler courses bother with it. 8)