Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2011 08:42:53 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with german umlauts and gtk apps (maybe unicode issue)

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 13:18:34 -0700, Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:
> Fortunately, ISO 8859-15 can be stored on FreeBSD's UFS
> filesystem without lossage-- other character sets can't
> since UFS doesn't do Unicode per se, just UTF-8.

Storing is one thing, correct displaying is the other.

As Alexander mentioned, display for 8851-1 and -15
even work in text mode console (using cons25l1) in
terms of Umlauts and Eszett. The "speciality" of
-15, the Euro symbol, won't be displayed if I remember
correctly. Maybe the "currency symbol" (squished
bug) will be used instead?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany