Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2000 10:27:17 -0500
From:      Network Administrator <admin@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount alien floppy? (Brother word processor)

At 08:16 AM 8/7/00 , Marc van Woerkom wrote:
>Is there no way to link the brother hardware to a FreeBSD box?
>Seraial link or such?
>
>If those floppies are readable at all on PC hardware you might have
>luck hunting for a converter in old MS DOS file collections (like
>FIDO mailbox systems :)

No linkage is possible. The Brother unit has an integrated daisy wheel
printer. There are no output ports of any kind.

The floppies are truly alien. I tried dd with if=/dev/fd0 and it aborted
when fd0 didn't find what it expected. Their web site indicates that their
oldest models use a 240K proprietary format, and I think that is what I'm
up against.

Pretty sure I'm near the end of this line of inquiry, as it seems the only
thing to do now would be to attempt connecting their floppy drive hardware
to a Wintel motherboard and writing a custom FreeBSD driver for it. I'm not
seriously considering trying it myself, and (since it seems notably
unprofitable and masochistic) I don't expect anyone to leap forward and
volunteer.

Thanks to everyone who offered info.

Greg Barniskis <admin@scls.lib.wi.us>
Network Administrator