Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:34:18 -0700
From:      Henrik W Lund <henrik.w.lund@broadpark.no>
To:        pura life CR <puralifecr@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: priority on rc script caused panic

pura life CR wrote:

>   Hi.
>
>   I added a process with high priority (nice -20) to be loaded each time
>   system boots. It is located in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
>
>   Apparently, the process consume too much cpu time which make it
>   imposible to log in.
>
>   I cant do anything from the boot loader, because i cant cd to /usr to
>   remove the script.
>
>   Any suggestion?.
>
>   The system is on a virtual machine.
>
>   thanks.
>
>   eugene tooms.

Greetings!

Have you tried this?

1. When the countdown starts, right after the BTX loader has finished,
press any key other than <enter> for the prompt.
2. Type boot -s to boot into single user mode.
3. When asked for a shell for root, hit <enter> (this will give you the
sh shell). Alternatively, type /bi n/csh, then <enter>. This will give
you the C shell, and tab completion. Essential if you are to do much of
anything, IMO.
4. fsck -y
5. mount /usr
6. Do whatever it is you want to do in /usr, and reboot.

You may have to provide the absolute paths for fsck and mount, I don't
recall at the moment if  PATH is set in single user mode.

Hope this helps!
-Henrik W Lund