Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 17:25:15 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: core group topics

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:

> Well, that's one way to look at it.  Another way to look at it is that
> a significant percentage of people looking at the whole idea have so
> far gone "No, I'm outright OPPOSED to this idea.  I do not want ELF."
> It's not as passive a situation as you might think.

Beg to differ, but most of the people that have stood up in opposition
have not stated an opposition to ELF per se, but as you have
previously observed to the significant transitional problems that
would be bound to surface, particularly in the light of their
perception of the benefits involved.

John P. put it succintly when he said that we need to think about what
ELF _would_ buy us, not what it might cost.  IMHO Jeff Hsu's
observation about Java is almost enough weight on its own; if we want
to be taken seriously as a development and server platform, the JDK is
going to be a mandatory component.