Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 12:04:39 -0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: broken loader?

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 07:54:05PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > At some point after May 3, but probably much more frequently, the alpha boot
> > stuff has gotten broken.
>
> VERY broken.  I am trying to back out loader commits to find the
> problem.. but thanks to some very poorly tested commits I've wasted 10
> hours trying to get either of a -current PWS or DS20 usable.

My guess is that the newly imported FICL 2.05 + the forth stuff we use
at boot got too big for the space allocated for the dictionary on the
alpha. This happened to me when using my more comprehensive stuff
instead of the standard stuff on the i386. Reason why I made commit to
remedy this.

Other possibilities are:

1) I screwed up merging i386 and alpha sysdep changes.
2) FICL 2.05 has a few bugs. FICL 2.06 is out already fixing these bugs
and first time I get I'll merge that. These bugs don't seem to affect
i386, but...
3) Maybe there is something eerily wrong with the libstand changes that
were made. Very unlikely, though.

I wish I could work on locating the problem, but... <shrug>

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	wow regex humor... I'm a geek