Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:11:06 -0500
From:      "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        Beauford <beauford.2002@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't boot into FreeBSD

Beauford(beauford.2002@rogers.com)@2002.02.24 09:43:37 +0000:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to FreeBSD, but am not new to Unix or Linux. I do have a minor
> (I think it is) problem. I have two HDs on my system. I installed
> FreeBSD and it worked fine, except my second drive wasn't mounted. So I
> added a line to fstab as I thought I had just missed something in the
> install - apparently not. So to make a long story short, I now to boot
> into something that I can only explain as Windows Safe Mode type mode.
> All I want to do is remove the entry in fstab, but I can't get an editor
> to work as paths aren’t set and some things aren’t mounted. So the
> question is, how do I edit this fstab to remove this line, or is their a
> better option?
>
> Thanks
>
> Beauford

Sounds like you're booting into single user mode.  If it's not loading a
kernel you may have to use the fixit floppy and use that to mount the root
fs and fix the fstab file.

Otherwise, you may be in single user mode with the root fs mounted read
only.  In that case, you'll have to mount -u -t ufs -o rw /dev/whatever to
make the mount read-write.

Once you successfully remounted the root fs you can use /bin/ed to edit
the fstab.  There's also /usr/bin/vi but you'll have to mount the /usr
slice to use vi.

Hope this helps.
--
Scott Nolde