Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:13:03 +0100
From:      Axel Rau <Axel.Rau@Chaos1.DE>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   New Opteron box, dedicated to PostgreSQL

Hi,

while configuring my 1st PostgreSQL box with dual Opterons (2212) on =20
FreeBSD, I have some questions:

1. Are there any precautions in fbsd to prevent from excessive page =20
switching between the memory nodes?
    E.g. what happens if file cache pages (heavily used by Pg, =20
planned 6GB) frequently not found on local node?
2. If there is no good solution for this problem, does it make sense =20
to stay with one dualcore (soon quadcore) processor?
3. What are the recommendations for tuning I/O)?
    - setting sysctl vfs.read_max to 16 or 32
    - rebuilding the relevant filesystem with 32K blocks and 4K frags
    Are these reliable?
4. Can I install the system on an Areca raid?

Thanks, Axel
Axel Rau, =E2=98=80Frankfurt , Germany                       +49 69 9514 =
18 0