Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 22:43:02 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Grant Cooper" <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: repartitioning single harddrive

On Saturday 06 July 2002 10:32 am, Grant Cooper wrote:
| Ok, I just realized something. I'm lost. After all this administrative
| stuff I been enlightened of the new file structure. I really don't want to
| loose all my old data. I used fdisk partition editor during my initial
| installation and used my entire disk for FreeBSD. Then on Disklabel I have
| 5 partitions I think. Drives a - g. In dos I would just go a: & d: for
| example. In freeBSD I have to mount to get to these drives? Also, my home
| directory - where is that data stored? What drive? Under Mount only dive
| that looks active is my SWAP drive

How did you do the install?

If you do a vaguely normal install it should all be automatically mounted for
you upon the reboot from the install.  I mean, yes, you *do* have to mount a
drive for it to be availble, but this should have happened automatically for
you.

So, for example, if you told it to use parition b (/dev/ad0s2b) for the usr
files, then you should find those files in

/usr

because they have already been mounted.

Unlike in MS-DOS, you don't have to do all that goofy a: d: stuff; in fact,
unless there's a problem you don't really need to know what's a mountpoint
and what's just a directory; this is all transparent.

Much more elegant, no?

It is very different, however; I would strongly suggest reading an
introduction to Unix and its philosophy before proceeding much further into
the nitty-gritty.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go