Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 22:21:06 -0500
From:      "Mikhail Evstiounin" <evstiounin@adelphia.net>
To:        <juha@saarinen.org>, "Mike Tancsa" <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Not such good networking performance with FreeBSD

-----Original Message-----
From: Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To: Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc: questions@freebsd.org <questions@freebsd.org>
Date: Tuesday, December 14, 1999 10:30 PM

>Hi Mike,
>
>> Are you sure its not a duplex issue with your network card ?
>
>Don't think so -- upon boot-up, the card (a DEC 21140 10/100 clone) is
being
>put into 100Mbps full duplex. At least that's what the system tells me.
>Ifconfig -a seems to imply it's only running in 100BaseTX mode:
>
>de0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>        ether 00:00:e8:4a:bf:96
>        media: autoselect (100baseTX) status: active
>        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
>10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP

Are your card connected to hub? Hub cannot operate as full duplex device -
only half-duplex. I had awful performance on my system (10Mbps interface)
both in FreeBSD and NT environment when I set full duplex on my cards -
something like 30 times slower. Nevertheless, I saw a switch 10/100 in Best
Buy for $120 ( 4 ports, either D-Link or Linksys ). Didn't test it yet.