Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:46:03 +0200
From:      Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
To:        Richard Caley <rjc@interactive.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or DesktopOS?)

Richard Caley wrote:

> In article <3DD8E8E2.BB8A709A@ene.asda.gr>, Lefteris Tsintjelis (lt) writes:
>
> lt> If its a matter of "never committed at all" (I do have a few doubts on this one)
> lt> then I guess I have no other choice here but -STABLE or at least some other branch
> lt> that is at least maintained. So, which one might that be?
>
> If STABLE has become de-facto a development branch, and RELEASE needs
> to remain rack solid so it can be treated as having had all the
> pre-release testing on it, making people reluctant to put in any but
> the safest fixes, perhaps it would be a good idea if there were a
> system of official patches to RELEASE. These could come with a proviso
> that they have been tested to STABLE standards, but not to RELEASE
> standards, but if you absolutely need the fix...

I think the best thing is to keep things as simple as possible. That
would probably complicate things even further for a not so expert user.
I personally think that a fix should always be a fix and should apply
to all (-STABLE or -RELEASE or whatever reliable or not branch might
that be). It is only a matter if you have been bitten by it or not.