Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:53:19 +0100
From:      Alessandro de Manzano <demanzano@iol.it>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make -j

[make -j could be bad]

> It's possible for incorrectly set up dependancies to cause files to
> be compiled incorrectly.  It's also possible that incorrectly set up
> dependancies can cause the build to fail.

ah, I understand.
There is not that can be done (in all sense) to "correct" this behavior ?
I mean, definitly it's not necessary "-j" for the life of FreeBSD :), but it's very nice saving so much time and seeing both CPUs working hard :-)

> > I did with 8 and now trying with 10 (I've only 96Mb RAM)
>
> That may be a bit much, if you start swapping because of it
> that's one way to know you're using too high of a -j.

Of course. with 10 my system swap only for 244K (it's a quite idle machine)

thanks for your answer !

--

bye!

Ale