Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2006 18:58:57 +0800
From:      "Mars G. Miro" <marsgmiro@gmail.com>
To:        "Dmitry Morozovsky" <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio+acpi woes on HP DL145 G2

On 4/9/06, Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru> wrote:

> connecting via
> 6.1-BETA4/amd64
> MGM> >
> MGM> > [snip]
> MGM> >
> MGM> > It seems it's DL145 G2. We use three of them and did not see your
> problem.
> MGM>
> MGM> Yes it's a G2. Sorry i ommitted that information the first time.
> MGM>
> MGM> > However, *sometimes* serial consoles work only for input (I can lo=
gin
> and
> MGM> > check new processes presence on ttyd0, but can not see any message=
s.
> Trouble
> MGM> > is
> MGM> > that this situation is not easy reproducible, and stty state seems=
> be the
> MGM> > same.
> MGM> >
> MGM>
> MGM> Does the box seem to hang when you do this? e.g., when you do not se=
> MGM> any messages.
>
> Nope. The box is working properly: I checked it by logging via ssh and
> digging
> throoup list of processes and their states; the only data which can not g=
et
> throudh is serial from G2 to serial console. I can (blindly) login, type
> `sleep
> 50' and see sleep process from ssh connection. After logout, getty
> _sometimes_
> returns sio0 to the proper state, so 'login:' is visible on the other sid=
e.

> What is also interesting, that the box is _never_ in this state on
> boot phase or single user sh: only after getty/login, and not every time.
>
> MGM> > What is you stop getty on ttyd0 and try to run two tip's?
> MGM> >
> MGM>
> MGM> I'm not sure I get you, sorry ;-( Can you elaborate further?
>
> s/is/if/ of course. Try to disable getty in /etc/ttys, and start
> tip -9600 ttyd0 on G2 side - can you communicate with the other side?

I tried your suggestion. I disabled the relevant ttyd0 entry in the
DL145 G2's /etc/ttys and made the other box the server instead of the
client (adding the same relevant /etc/ttys  entry). The moment I HUP
init on the other box, the effect is the same on the G2. The box is
hung. Network services such as ssh just halt. ICMP still works tho.

And as usual, acpi0 interrupts (and cpu consumption) hit thru the roof:
irq9: acpi0                     20218233        254

I know that If i disable acpi the serial console works.

There's a BIOS update but doesn't really seem relevant as it only
fixes HBA stuff:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23932.html
( add to that the lousy prerequisite I must have win2k/win2k3
installed ... grrrr)

Thanks.