Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2019 09:24:02 +0200
From:      David Demelier <markand@malikania.fr>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FLAVORS for Ruby
References:  <CAALwa8m3NJSckxSyrVTehx3LWxheSJXxUB=iAxr%2B1HG_2WFtfg@mail.gmail.com> <20190913090645.buutinhgh2pygb4h@icepick.vmeta.jp> <CAP7rwcjH6d7AiEL4XeRyQ-evT=dq%2BZi8WDTx-aYhye-zq2DKJw@mail.gmail.com> <20190914042738.r3hedyqtpxsxnd5e@icepick.vmeta.jp> <006FCB74-04EB-4A82-A800-6C7CA273E749@adamw.org> <20190916143929.z6vnzoqjme6vw2ey@icepick.vmeta.jp> <CAP7rwci6jME-Ef%2BOkjKWD7mYdnNhobA-9Va5YKmW_6xzcuNj_w@mail.gmail.com> <20190916161650.4ofb2o27tfxif57e@icepick.vmeta.jp> <20190917064039.7qhnw3lds2zaxdl5@atuin.in.mat.cc> <e33cd87b-c000-a219-c30a-c05a183135a7@FreeBSD.org> <20191014163725.ibff4boooir2xqi3@icepick.vmeta.jp>

Le 14/10/2019 à 18:37, Koichiro Iwao a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 07:34:27AM -0400, Steve Wills wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 9/17/19 2:40 AM, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
>>>
>>> What we are all trying to say is that adding flavors for ruby will have
>>> a big impact on build time and ressources required for building.
>>>
>>> If all you want is to have ruby flavors for the kicks of it, then I am
>>> glad to tell you that no, it will not be done.
>>>
>>> Now, the question is, why would someone need to have ruby flavors?
>>>
>>> The answer cannot be "because it should be fun" or "there is no reason
>>> there should not be".
>>>
>>> Give us a real reason about why it would be required.
>>>

>> We have multiple versions of Ruby, we should provide the gems for each
>> version. Right now, there is no way for users of Ruby 2.4 to install gem
>> packages except to change the default ruby and then build their own
>> packages. We want people to have fewer reasons to build their own packages,
>> not more.
>>
>> We keep the latest Ruby as not default because it tends to have more bugs
>> and gems lag, and the older version of Ruby is available because some gems
>> tend to lag really badly. So, users do have legitimate reasons for using the
>> non-default versions of Ruby. Also, upstream supports latest and two
>> versions back.
>>
>> It wasn't until Ruby 2.6 was out that GitLab even supported 2.5, to give
>> just one example.
>>
>> So, we have those versions of Ruby, and they should be usable, and that
>> includes installing gems via pkg.
>>
>> There's the point that maybe we should only package gems that are needed by
>> other things, which I can understand, but don't know if I necessarily agree
>> with, because then you have users confused on what the "right" way to
>> install a gem is. "Oh, this one is packaged because something else in ports
>> needs it, so use the pkg, but this other one isn't packaged, so you have to
>> use gem."
>>
>> And I'd think the same applies to python modules or perl modules, etc. One
>> could ask, why not provide flavors for all versions of python, that is, 3.5,
>> 3.6 and 3.7, along with the 2.7 ones as well, but to me that doesn't seem
>> quite necessary because the compatibility is better there, as far as I can
>> tell. But, I wouldn't be opposed to it personally, if someone did make the
>> argument in favor of it. Same with Perl and especially things that depend on
>> Java.
>>
>> But that's all beside the point, really.
>>
>> Steve
>
> Hello again everyone,
>
> I'm sorry I cannot express my thoughts correctly in English and I clould not
> explain why flavors for Ruby required but swills explained far better than me.
>
> Based on his explanation, will it be a valid reason to introduce flavors
> on Ruby ports?

Ruby use semantic versioning since version 2.1.0, unless there is Ruby 3
version release there is no reason to have flavors in FreeBSD for Ruby.

Also, I don't even understand why there is several Ruby version in the
ports tree since Ruby 2.6 is (as guaranteed by semantic versioning)
retro compatible with 2.5, 2.4 and so on. Ports ruby24, ruby25 should be
deleted.