Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:14:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        veldy@visi.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP Problem

In article <36D3698E.A64EFBB7@visi.com>,
Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy@visi.com> wrote:
> I always get the following error when I try to start cvsup (16) under
> X11.  I am behind a firewall if that makes a difference.  I start by
> passing -P m as an option:
>
> ***
> *** runtime error:
> ***
> ***    Segmentation violation - possible attempt to dereference NIL
> ***    pc = 0x28312ff8 = Cat + 0x18 in ../src/text/Text.m3
> ***
>
> This error happens everytime unless I pass the -g switch.

I've seen this kind of thing before in situations where the hostname
and/or DNS setup is incorrect.  It's something in the way the Modula-3
runtime uses X11.  Make sure your hostname looks up properly in both
directions:

    blake$ host `hostname`
    blake.polstra.com has address 206.213.73.12
    blake$ host 206.213.73.12
    12.73.213.206.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer blake.polstra.com

If your $DISPLAY environment variable names a different host, try it
for that one too.

I added an explicit check for this problem in CVSup some time ago, so
you'd get an error message instead of a core dump.  But I suspect it
still doesn't cover all the possible failure modes.

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken