Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 22:42:30 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: statically linked linux ELF binaries

>Peter Wemm stands accused of saying:
>>
>> >In -current, there is no linux binary loader any more.  If you have the
>> >linux LKM loaded, attempts to run a.out binaries will fail.
>>
>> Huh??  Since when??
>
>Er, since I compiled a kernel with 'options LINUX', rebooted, loaded the
>Linux LKM and got a core.  Unloading the LKM and rerunning the (a.out)
>binary worked.
>
>My understanding was that COMPAT_LINUX and the LKM were going; it looks like
>I was wrong on the second count 8)

COMPAT_LINUX is gone..  You can either use "options LINUX" to statically build
in the linux emulation environment, *or* load the LKM, but not both.

I'm suprised the LKM even loaded, I'd have thought that there would have been
some horrible 'ld' collisions.

That's probably what happened..  You loaded the LKM, which caused the
sysentvec for the Linux a.out environment to be replaced by a pointer to a
mangled LKM.

It's the same deal with the COMPAT_IBCS2 and IBCS2 options.. You used to need
to compile the kernel with COMPAT_IBCS2 in order to use the LKM, but it is a
no-op now too.  You can use "options IBCS2" to get the IBCS2 emulator linked
into the kernel..

>> (Somehow, I suspect you didn't say what you meant.. :-)
>
>I meant what I said but not what you read but I was still wrong 8)

:-)  Perhaps we need to put a hook in to prevent linux or ibcs2 LKM's being
loaded when the emulator is already present?  That's pretty easy I think..

>--
>]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[
>]] Genesis Software                     genesis@atrad.adelaide.edu.au   [[
>]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 0411-222-496       [[
>]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax)  +61-8-267-3039        [[
>]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

Cheers,
-Peter