Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:08:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, jhs@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, commercial@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing Software

> > o	If your topology prefix is subject to change, don't include
> > 	it.  It's just "one more damn thing" to push you over the
> > 	allowed 32 bit limit anyway.
>
> What ``allowed 32 bit limit''?

This one:

% man hostid
GETHOSTID(3)               UNIX Programmer's Manual               GETHOSTID(3)

NAME
     gethostid, sethostid - get/set unique identifier of current host

SYNOPSIS
     #include <unistd.h>

     long
     gethostid(void)

> > o	If "someone over you" changes the topology by positional
> > 	fiat ("I am the VP and that's the way it will be"), then
>
> BZZZT!  You clearly don't understand the world works.  It's more like:
>
> ``We decided that MCI is charging us too much so now we are customers
> of SprintLink.  Deal with it.''

"It will take a week to resolve the licensing issues your decision
 has fomented.  Thank you for your patience during this transition
 period.  By the way, since Garrett says we will all be using IPv6
 soon enough that we should consider it in our discusion, the
 company should obtain IPv6 address assignements so that this will
 never happen again as a result of changing our NSP/ISP".

> > 	*they* can eat the cost of what they want done.  It is a
> > 	matter of physics.  You can not change the way things
> > 	operate simply because you dislike it.  There are unavoidable
>
> That's right.  No amount of babbling on your part will causes
> addresses to stop being Addresses and start being Names.  If you want
> to treat them as Names, that's fine, but don't expect any Internet
> providers to route your traffic.

So what is "Garrett's soloution to the licensing issue to put
FreeBSD on a par with other OS's who, by ignoring Garrett, have
seeminly arrived at satisfactory soloutions to the problem Garrett
claims is insoluable"?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---