Date:      Mon, 23 May 2005 16:51:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mike Jakubik" <mikej@rogers.com>
To:        "Colin Percival" <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lifetime of FreeBSD branches

On Mon, May 23, 2005 3:42 pm, Colin Percival said:

> http://www.freebsd.org/security/
>

> In addition to the material there (which is concerned with existing
> releases), FreeBSD 5.x is expected to be supported until late 2007
> (FreeBSD 5.5 plus two
> years), and FreeBSD 6.x will probably be supported until early 2009 (the
> last FreeBSD 6.x release plus two years).

Thanks for the info guys. Does this "security support" also mean that
current ports will be compatible with the release? I'm surprised to see
that 4.11 will be supported longer than RELENG_5. Guess my best bet would
be to wait for 6.x.

Now, does anyone know if a make buildworld/kernel update will be possible
for 5.x to 6.x ? I'm assuming that they are similar enough for this to be
possible.