Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:06:02 -0400
From:      Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
To:        sweetleaf <sweetleaf@myrealbox.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can i make dial up PPP easy? !!!

On Sunday 20 July 2003 06:04 am, sweetleaf wrote:
> I am trying to setup a friends computer with freebsd 5.1. He has
> used windows for the last 5 years and has never used a unix based
> computer.......so i need to make things as easy and "point and
> click" as possible.

Well, if you set up dial on demand he wouldn't even have to "point and
click". Try reading the PPP section of the handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ppp-and-slip.html

> He uses a dial up isp "everyones internet" for internet service and
> i dont have any idea on how to make this easy as i have always used
> a cable modem. What should i use? I have heard that ppp is what
> most use. Whatever solution, I will need it to have a good gui
> interface so he can jut click connect and disconnect etc... and
> username : password.  Any good suggestions.

I've had good success with KPPP, which comes installed with KDE3.

> Also, I cant seem to find the modem showing up in dmesg.  The modem
> is a astec pci - modem,,, here is my dmesg.

Chances are that the Astec modem is a WinModem (software modem
requiring Windows drivers) and isn't supported by FreeBSD. You may
want to get a cheap external serial modem and use that. If you want
an internal modem that works with FreeBSD, I recommend US Robotics
model 5610. Model 5610, however, costs about $100 US.

--
Matthew Graybosch
http://www.starbreaker.net