Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2013 15:54:42 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeNAS vs. FreeBSD?

On 10/27/13 15:16, C. P. Ghost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> up until now, I'm used to run FreeBSD on SuperMicro servers
> with ZFS-over-GELI. Works like a charm, and I'm comfortable
> with it w.r.t. administration and so on.
>
> Now I'm wondering what's the difference to FreeNAS.
>
> Does FreeBSD endorse FreeNAS (there's no port to FreeNAS
> in the ports tree, that's why I ask), or is it a completely
> different and independent project of unknown quality
> and reputation? Would you advise to keep using FreeBSD
> or should I give FreeNAS a try?
>
> I know this belongs more to a FreeNAS mailing list, but I'd
> like to know what FreeBSD users think and recommend.

Just my 2c...

I've had only one experience with FreeNAS, when I was called upon a box
where files could not be deleted or moved: turned out its default
settings for Samba and filesystem were arguable at the least and ACLs
would prevent what could be expected to be normal behaviour.

No way to fix this through FreeNAS web interface, I had to ssh into the
box and do everything the FreeBSD way (chflags, chown, ecc...).
So much for easy web administration.

For myself, being able to use simple shell commands, I see no point over
plain (and standard) FreeBSD; it might have a point for inexperienced
people who are not willing to learn, but before that, it should at least
work.
(Disclaimer: it was an already old FreeNAS release).

  bye
	av.