Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:34:55 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Eric Thornton <ewthorn2@unity.ncsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to auto reset log limits

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 01:41:09AM +0000, Eric Thornton wrote:

> I have my loglimit set to 100 entries for each ipfw rule.  Is there
> a way in periodic.conf or such to automatically execute "ipfw
> resetlog"?  My log entires fill up in about 2 days due to attempted
> tcp connections to http, telnet, netbios, ect.  I would like to keep
> the loglimit active to prevent syslog flooding, and still get
> attempted connections logged to me everyday. Thanks.

The easy way to run 'ipfw resetlog' each day is to run it out of
/etc/daily.local:

    #!/bin/sh

    PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/sbin ; export PATH

    ipfw resetlog

    #
    # That's All Folks!
    #

If /etc/daily.local exists, by default the periodic scripts will run
it after all the other daily scripts.  Similarly weekly.local or
monthly.local could be used if you want to run at a different
frequency.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way