Date:      08 Feb 2003 18:49:24 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        Laszlo Vagner <freebsd@vagner.com>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, Brian H <b1henning@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: connecting to my isp

Laszlo Vagner <freebsd@vagner.com> writes:

> I have comcast and can DHCP it fine, my GF has ATTBI cable and i cant
> get it to DHCP for the life of me
> although i can manually put in the settings and it will work. both
> systems are 4.7-stable.

On ATTBI some people have found that the IP TTL is expiring on the way
to the server.  I don't know what kind of drugs they use in their
network design to have more than 16 hops on the way to a DHCP server,
but kicking up the (hard-coded) TTL
(at line 159 in /usr/src/contrib/isc-dhcp/common/packet.c)
has helped some people.