Date:      Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:59:12 -0500
From:      Jeb Campbell <jebc@c4solutions.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netgraph <-> disk module

First let me say that I'm in way over my head on this one (but you have
to start somewhere I guess).

Anyway, I'm trying to implement ata-over-ethernet (aoe) as a netgraph
module -- see http://www.coraid.com for specs and freebsd drivers, or
http://aoetools.sf.net for user space code (linux only).

As my first kernel programming experience I have completed a netgraph
node that splits incoming packets off based off ethernet type and then
sorts them based on aoe shelf/slot to the appropriate hook.

Now I need to write a node that performs aoe on a device.  The disk
access is where I'm stuck.  Archie mentioned in "All About Netgraph"
that netgraph could be used to talk to disks -- well here is the chance.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for opening and read/writing
a device (/dev/ad0s1a, /dev/gvinum/disk1, etc) from kernel code?  I
think Google is going to ban my ip from all the searching ;) .

Many thanks,

Jeb Campbell
jebc@c4solutions.net