Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:10:08 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can you install from tape or can't you ?

On Wednesday, 10 April 2002 at 22:00:40 +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:

> On www.FreeBSD.org, right on the front page, we're telling the world
> that you can install FreeBSD from tape.
>
> In the FAQ, we're saying that you can, but you might have problems
> installing 2.1.7.
>
> So a few questions :
>
> 1) Can you install from tape ?
>
> 2) If you can, is the advice in FAQ 3.17 valid for all releases, or
>    just for 2.1.7 ?
>
> 3) If it's just 2.1.7, is it time to nix that FAQ yet ?

I've decided that it probably doesn't work.  I'm pretty sure that
nobody has tried in a long time.  The safest thing to do would
obviously be to try it and either succeed or know that the failure was
due to the fact that it's no longer functional.  The second safest
thing to do would be to say that it's no longer "supported".  I've
taken the corresponding info out of "The Complete FreeBSD".

Greg