Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 08:03:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer setup/configuration

As Sean Kelly wrote:

> But this is really sidestepping the issue: there should be a way to
> pass specialized arguments to the filters.  That's why I prefer
> Patrick Powell's PLP, a freely-available replacement for LPD.  It's
> compatible with the LPD protocol, and has a few nice extensions,
> especially for handling NFS-mounted spooling directories, multiple
> printers on a single queue, and specialized arguments to the filters.

Does it actually handle multiple printers correctly?  Last time i
tried (1.1.5.1, but the lpd stuff hasn't changed much), lpd was broken
enough to throw every request onto the printer that's just being
active at the time the request has been made, gratuitously ignoring
the "-P" argument.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/