Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:35:08 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>, "'current@freebsd.org'" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, Dan.Langi@ns1.unixathome.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Filesystem gets a huge performance boost

On 18 Apr 2001, at 22:16, Bruce Evans wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
>
> > -On [20010417 20:47], Matt Dillon (dillon@earth.backplane.com) wrote:
> > >    Testing it 'on' in stable on production systems and observing the
> > >    relative change in performance is a worthy experiment.  Testing it
> > >    'on' in current is just an experiment.
> >
> > I have been running vfs.vmiodirenable=1 on two STABLE boxes for the last
> > week or so.  Still no problems.  Been doing massive cvsups and all that.
> > This is not in combination with softupdates.  That's next on the agenda.
>
> So, how much slower was it? ;-)

$ uname -a
FreeBSD cvsup.nz.freebsd.org 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0:
Thu Mar  8 01:24:24 NZDT 2001
root@xeon.int.nz.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/ZEKE  i386

The box I mentioned in my previous message is running softupdates.

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php