Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:33:57 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Patrick O'Reilly <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APC backup -UPS howto install.

Patrick O'Reilly (patrick@mip.co.za) wrote:

> If I may piggy-back on this thread :)
>
> I need to run UPS daemons on more than one box, but the UPS is connected by
> serial cable to one box only.  The info from "make search key=ups", along
> with a little more digging, reveals that 'nut' is probably the only one of
> these ports that will enable one box to listen to the UPS via the serial
> port, and then broadcast the UPS status info over TCP/IP for other boxes to
> listen and respond to.
>
> Does anyone else have this setup running?

I've got nut running and it works great for me.

nut is probably a bit more complicated than your average UPS daemon.
It runs four daemons: upsd, upsmon, upslog and a UPS-specific driver.
The computer directly connected to the UPS should run all four, while
I believe the clients just run upsmon.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com