Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 04:24:01 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Szilveszter Adam" <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: misc/26744: Unable to send mail to FreeBSD.org from home and from work

No, I'm writing a FAQ _submission_ which is different than an entry.
This implies that whoever the FAQ maintainer is, that person is
free to completely munge my entry beyond all recognition, and I expect that.

I'm writing it from my point of vew and as such I'm obligated to make
the best case for it.  I would probably have written it differently if
I was the actual FAQ maintainer because the maintainer has to edit
the FAQ in such a way as to not piss off people, yet still get their
point across.  Since I'm only doing a submission, I'm free to be as
obnoxious and radical as I want. :-)  And, it so happens that I do
feel strongly about this issue and I will be obnoxious and radical,
because I think I'm right. :-)

You are, of course, also free to write as obnoxious and radical FAQ entry
as you want, from the completely opposite point of view.  Then the FAQ
maintainer takes both entries and either can side with you, or with me,
or can try to find some compromise middle ground.

 You
>are trying
> to explain things to somebody who already has taken the trouble to check
> the FAQ, although nobody could possibly have told him that on any FreeBSD
> list, since his mails would never get through, not even to -questions,
> which is plain stupid BTW. How are you supposed to DTRT and ask if your
> mail is rejected? But this is another topic.

Which I answered by a second followup adjusting the webpage that lists the
mailing lists.

> Additionally, I really would
> like to see this preamble go. It simply smacks of "I have my gun and I own
> this house and I can do whatever the hell I want in it." This my be a
> popular line in some peoples' minds, but I would certainly not like it to
> see propagate and spread as something that should be followed.
>While it may
> be argued that you can do things to your machine, but a machine that hosts
> mailing lists, esp one for an OpenSource project that
>(notwithstanding Wes's
> comments to the contrary and his appreciation for the "Line up or
>Get lost!"
> approach taken by OpenBSD) actually cares about acceptance and is
>dependent
> on the people outta there, is not entirely yours and yours only
>anymore. You
> have volunteered to open it up, this brings responsibilities with it. This
> is not to make you happy, but to make the others happy. Sorry, that's the
> way it is. It especially resonates funny with the "The Power to Serve"
> slogen of the whole project. Who on earth are we serving then?
>
> This has nothing to do with blocking spam, this is just a
> general remark.

I hear you, but understand that unless everyone on the Internet adopts
the principle that a person's right to reject any arbitrary mail message
on their mailserver for whatever reason is inviolate, then your opening
the door to the spammers who all want to pass laws that require that ISP's
accept spam that's "properly marked as spam"

I don't know if you know this but either the ORBS or the MAPS database has
already been sued by a spammer making exactly this argument - that they are
providing a service that users want and that MAPS or ORBS has no right to
interfere with mail transmission to a public mailserver.

You can't even hint that any part of this is anything other than a problem
at the transmitter's mailserver, or your going right down the road that the
spammers want you to go down.  Yes, I understand that in some cases it may
be a lot easier for freebsd.org to change than for the user to change, but
this is clearly the case of the good of the many outweighing the good of the
few.  By accepting that it's freebsd.org's problem, and thus they should
change, your accepting the argument that they don't have total and absolute
control over their mailserver anymore, because it's "public"

Now, yes you can make a case that freebsd.org's existence is to serve the
public, thus they are contrary to that principle by refusing any mail
message.
But, then the problem is "what defines a public mailserver that should
implement
these kinds of controls and what defines a public mailserver that
shouldn't be implementing these kinds of controls"  Well, the answer is
"It's a
grey decision."

The problem with that, is that legislation does not like grey - they want
everything
black and white.  From the law's point of view, if any public mailserver
should
be required to accept all mail, then _every_ public mailserver should be
required
to accept all mail.  The law in every country in this day and age does not
appear
to want to get into depth with technology - I don't know if this is because
legislators
are afraid of it, or don't understand it or what.  Nevertheless, if the
attitude
DOESEN'T get spread that "I have my gun and I own
this house and I can do whatever the hell I want in it." in the case of
Internet mailservers, then we will eventually have legislated spam, which
would
be far more damaging than a few people that can't subscribe to a mailing
list.

> Just as an aside, this alleged spam protection does not help
>much: The most
> spam I receive comes through the FreeBSD lists. And this,
>although my real
> email
> address is available in many public list archives on the web... it seems
> that spammers do have enough open relays at their disposal that
>match all of
> your criteria. Sigh.

Yes, I agree with this as well.  I've been spamfighting a long, long time
and in fact several
years ago I wrote a series of articles that are up on the web that detail
how to do it.  I've come to the understanding that there is only one sure
method of spamfighting that works, and thats content-filtering on the
mailserver.  I kill far, far more spam by filtering
mail with words like "cum" or strings like "this is the best work at home"
or "this is not a pyramind scheme" or my favorite "This e-mail sent in
accordance", that
last one is good for a large amount of spam.  But, I also recognize that to
some people the idea of content-filtering is political, and so they won't
content-filter, and so they take
whatever means are available to them to try and block spam.

> >  [explanation]
> >  Unfortunately, the increased amount of spamming done on the Internet
> >  has forced most administrators running mailservers to take action to
> >  block spam, or mail messages that have a high probability of
>being spam.
>
> Much better.
>
> <...snip...>
> >  If your ISP's mailserver is screwed for some reason, then find
>what is known
> >  as
> >  a "promiscious open relay" mailserver on the Internet and use
>that.  (it's a
> >  poor substitute, since those systems generally get black-holed
>very quickly
> >  by
> >  ORBS and MAPS)  Or, better yet, complain to your ISP, this is what your
> >  paying them
> >  for.
>
> Yeah. And if you are not paying them (like most university students here)
> and they have a stupid policy of not allowing relaying from all the
> machines but just a couple, than you are SOL. This means in my case no
> send-pr from my machine. (since I am of course not on the allowed
>list) and
> you cannot even do a whole lot. Because they are also people who believe
> that they are not here to serve others but to do whatever the hell they
> want... sad.

How can they discriminate between your server and some arbitrary student's
Win95 system?  From the mailserver, both of you look exactly the same, you
both communicate via SMTP.

And, you are NOT sol either because you have several alternatives.  First,
you can
elect to pay some other provider on the Internet for mail access.  For
example,
at the ISP I work at we have shell accouts at $60 per year that you can ssh
into
and run Pine.  Or, if you have a fixed IP number you could tell us and we
would
put it in the list of allowed relays and you could relay through us, and pop
your mail from our server.  There's got to be plenty of other ISP's out
there that
do this, some located closer to you.  Or, if you can receive mail on a
static IP number
but not send it, then you can also find some kind admin on the net that
will allow you to relay through their server for free - for example, I'd
do it on my own home mailserver that's on a DSL line.   Finally, there's
the web-interface mail providers like hotmail.