Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:55:49 -0500
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        Shaun Friedle <shaun@insipidity.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 12:15:18AM +0100, Shaun Friedle wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 18:42, Doug Poland wrote:
> > > I currently have an Asus P4C800 Deluxe which is okay - until I turn off
> > > ACPI and then I get a "Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while is
> > > kernel mode" while booting. I need to be able to turn off ACPI as the
> > > nvidia driver doesn't work with it on.
> > >
> > > The P4S800D-E Deluxe is very similar is features to the P4C800 Deluxe
> > > and I want to make sure that it doesn't suffer from the same problem
> > > before I buy it.
> > >
> > Sorry, it does suffer the same problem.  I've got an nVidia 5700
> > that's running the XFree86 nv driver because of this issue.
>
> Hi,
> It's a good job I checked first then. Do you know of any boards that
> offer similar features, but don't have this problem?

No, I don't.  Someone created a webapp that attempted to "rate" the
performance of mobos for FBSD.  The URL is:

   http://www.eilio.com/freebsd-motherboards/

I just checked it out and it seems to be stale now.  There's a MySQL
connect error visible on the page.  Also, it didn't rate ACPI
compatibility/performance which is something you really want to know.

--
Regards,
Doug