Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:21:47 +0000
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>, FreeBSD Ports List <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>, Mail List - Mailman <mailman-users@python.org>
Cc:        jmelo@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple instances of Mailman on FreeBSD

--On Wednesday, August 12, 2009 13:55:18 -0500 Jeffrey Goldberg
<jeffrey@goldmark.org> wrote:

> I'm posting this to both the mailman-users list and the freebsd-ports
> list.  I realize that not all follow-up will make it to both lists.
>
> I would like to set up multiple instances of Mailman on a FreeBSD 7-
> STABLE system with using Postfix.  Looking at the ports Makefile, it
> appears that if I set MM_DIR=mailman/vhosts/domain-for-this-instance
> everything should work file (plus add FORCE_PACKAGE_REGISTER allow
> this second instance to be installed.)
>
> But when I do
>
>   % cd /usr/ports/mail/mailman
>   % sudo make -DMM_DIR=mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org -
> DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER install
>
> It just installs in the default location, /usr/local/mailman
>
> And this paradoxical report of various settings
>
> $ sudo make MM_DIR=mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org -

This could be a really stupid question (because I've never tried to do what
you're doing), but shouldn't the above line be:

$ sudo make MM_DIR=/mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org

In other words, don't you have to provide the *absolute* patch to the install
location?

In addition, I would think you would need to change PREFIX as well for the port
to install where you want it to.

So, ISTM, you should be doing this:

$ sudo make PREFIX=/usr/local/mailman/vhost/lists.wilson-pta.org
-DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER install

rather than trying to set MM_DIR.  Note you may *also* have to set MM_DIR, but
I'm almost certain you need to set PREFIX if you want the port to install there
instead of /usr/local/mailman.

The problem is, I'm not exactly sure *where* you want mailman to install, so
it's hard to be correct without more information.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst