Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 10:19:49 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alan <tigspok1@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD crashed

On Saturday, 22 September 2001 at  2:54:56 -0500, Alan wrote:
> I have been using Win98 SE for over a year now and Windows in general for
> over 20 years, and lunix for over five years. I tried your FreeBSD system
> since my roommate has been using it and other *inx type systems for over ten
> years now.  I have installed your system with his help and then tried to
> reboot and go back into Windows.  I did NOT have my Win harddrive pluged in,
> so windows should not have been touch.  I got back into BSD and then he
> showed me how to mount my windows harddrive and cp files from Windows to BSD.
>  I then shutdown and unpluged BSD and pluged in Windows and had nothing.  I
> could not get Windows to boot.  I have had to re-due my harddrive and have
> lost all of my information on my harddrive because of this.

You have given no evidence for this claim.

> Some of these files are of legell use and can not afford to be lost.

Looks like you just threw them away anyway.

> YOUR so called FreeBSD system is crap.

It's funny that so many of us have no problems with it.

> I am very upset at this and intend to notify Microsoft of this just
> on the offset that you or someone in your company has put some kind
> of code or virus on your system to attack a Windows system.

What evidence do you have of a virus?

> This seems to be the only reason to the problem that your system has
> caused me.

Well, how about not following instructions?  During installation you
saw the message

	    Last Chance!  Are you SURE you want continue the installation?

	    If you're running this on a disk with data you wish to save
	    then WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO MAKE PROPER BACKUPS before
	    proceeding!

	    We can take no responsibility for lost disk contents!

Why did you answer yes to it?

> I will also be mailing them the same CD iso image that I used for
> them to install and then invetagate.  YOUR system destroyed my
> Windows!! I will no longer be using ANY BSD product.  Now I
> understand why so many people are not using anything but Windows,
> they do not destroy your system if you connect the two together.

I've seen plenty of cases where they have.

Look, face it, you screwed up.  It happens.  We warn.  We can't do
anything more than that.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.