Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 16:01:09 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        dab@berserkly.cray.com (David A. Borman)
Cc:        hartmans@mit.edu, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: telnetd fix

>It's not that simple.  The whole point of the environment option is
>to allow the passing of arbitrary environment variables, because you
>don't know what poeple may want to pass through.  Changing telnetd to only
>allow an enumerated list of variables through means that if I have some
>private application that looks at an environement variable, and I want
>to propogate that variable, I then have to go to the administrator and
>ask that my personal variable be added to the list.

   What can I say? It's a feature that has serious security ramifications that
likely can't be completely worked around in all cases.

>The current fix does the minimal amount of work needed to solve the
>immediate problem, and a better long-term solution can be developed
>without the pressure of getting out a fix ASAP.

   I remain unconvinced that the list of envirnoment variables in the proposed
patch is complete. After looking at the telnet manpage, I understand better
the desire to keep the original functionality of being able to pass arbitrary
variables, but honestly, I think this feature is only marginally useful for the
generic case. Even in the case of DISPLAY, I have to add it to my standard
.login because there are too many systems that I deal with that don't support
telnet environment passing option.
   At the moment, I'm seriously considering adding a switch to shut off the
feature in FreeBSD's telnetd and making it the default in inetd.conf.

-DG