Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:08:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securing a system that's been rooted remotely (Was: BPF on  in 3.3-RC GENERIC kernel)

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 01:43 PM 9/17/99 -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>
> >I can't imagine anyone who would need and use a high securelevel like
> >that, and still run a GENERIC kernel.  If they do, then their worldview
> >would seem to be slightly skewed.  I run a custom (2.1.5-REL) kernel on
> >musca, which is a 386 SX/20.  It took 6 hours to compile.  On mortis
> >(4.0-CURRENT) a kernel takes approx. 2 minutes to compile.  This is not a
> >major time investment.
>
> If securelevel isn't set high, a hacker can switch you BACK to the generic
> kernel with a few keystrokes.

You're missing Matthew's point:

Securelevel low, GENERIC kernel = vulnerable with or without bpf (intruder
replaces kernel or loads a sniffer module)

Securelevel high, GENERIC kernel = still vulnerable with or without bpf
unless you really lock the system down carefully

Securelevel high, GENERIC kernel, locked down with schg = silly, because
for all the work you've done to audit the startup path, you might as well
have just commented out the bpf driver and rebuilt your kernel too.

Kris