Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:09:34 -0500
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First Impression of 3.0-RELEASE

John Polstra wrote:

> > First, the ELF ld.so.cache.
>
> Aw, jeeze, where were you a few months ago?

I did post something about it -- here in hackers tho'. I guess it got
lost in the noise.

> People left and right
> were SCREAMING for an ELF ldconfig,

Why do they want it? Don't they understand that the RPATH is a
per-program ld.so.cache?

> and I was about the only guy
> arguing against it.  Finally I got sick of arguing and implemented the
> damned thing.  Go back to the archives of -current if you want a taste
> of that debacle.  It was not a fun time.

I can imagine.

> > Two, ldd works on ELF programs but not on ELF libraries? This is just
> > strange. I suppose I can always ship my libraries over to an SVR4 or
> > Linux system in order to {ldd,dump,odump} them.
>
> Are you sure it really worked on libraries under SVR4?

Steiner Haug just posted the proof, so I won't do it again.

> > Transitive linking doesn't work ...
>
> I don't think you should either.  This is supposed to work, and
> it does work at least in simple tests.  If you can put together a
> reasonable test case for me, I'll be happy to look at it, and fix it
> if it's a bug.

My bad. The X11 SI does link programs with all the libraries. And
someone else pointed out that programs that use libpng have to link with
zlib on all the SVR4en. Must have been wishful thinking on my part. I
withdraw this suggestion.

--
Kaleb