Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:15:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rvplayer requires pcm for stable

Kris Kirby writes:
 > Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
 > > Voxware has already rotted.  Someday soon it will even be removed
 > > entirely and you will then have the choice between either putting it
 > > back in yourself and maintaining it separately or switching to the new
 > > one.
 >
 > Jordan, I'm going to second your statement. The Media Vision stuff is
 > long gone, and I don't know enough about UN*X to fix it. May Voxware
 > Rest In Pieces.

I'm a little naive on this.  Will departing from voxware make it more
difficult to port audio applications to FreeBSD?  I know that the pcm
audio includes the voxware ioctls plus others.  And OSS presumably has
a few that it has added.  More than once I have seen FreeBSD advocates
recommend that apps be ported to linux first and this is likely to be
the common practice as linux continues to increase in popularity.  If
our audio drivers begin to diverge from others, is this a good thing?

-d