Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:05:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        rjesup@wgate.com (Randell Jesup), arch@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: await/asleep removal imminent

It seems Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> > > You and Poul-Henning have to figure out what's going on, no one
> > > else is able to reproduce this instability you're talking about.
> >
> > Oohh you dont read the mailing lists then, there has been plenty
> > of reports of hanging -current boxen since SMPng...
>
> Yes, but none with anything useful. :(

Check, but thats because the breakage is the way it is, there *IS*
no useful info to pass on, other than it locks up, is that so
hard to understand ??

> > > There has to be a way for you guys to get us some reasonable
> > > tracebacks or diagnostics instead of just saying "it's broke".
> >
> > Its close to impossible, the two symptoms I see here are either
> > spontanous reboots, or solid hangs where only a reset can get
> > you out, so I cant say much other than "it's broke".
>
> You probably have a much better understanding of low level programming
> than I do, you _should_ be able to figure out what's going on.

Ohh, thanks for the roses, but I havn't been following the SMP work
that closely I thought it was in good hands, thats why I have told
you guys that its broken for the last couble of months :)

> > So there is nothing special to it guys, you just have to try..
> > Oh btw using a ccd/vinum/ATA-raid thingy makes the problem worse,
> > probably due to the higher interrupt rates.
>
> I will try stacking a vinum over vn striped setup later tonight
> to see if this still locks up.
>
> You're still not telling me what combination of vn/vinum does this,
> so I guess I'll have to stumble around in the dark for a bit until
> I find the magic combination to find the Danish panic/lockup?

I didn't mention vn above, I use the ata-raid thingy with src & obj
put on two striped disks each. The main point here being that this
changes the way IO's are done...

> I think phk just told me that you need a UP kernel to find this,
> but he's being pretty vague about it so I don't know.

You need sleep :) I said that SMP lockups quickly, UP runs pretty
well and only hangs on rare occasions...

-Søren