Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:24:37 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Arch <arch@freebsd.org>, Roman Divacky <rdivacky@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tmux(1) in base

--=-=-=

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:35:56 +0200, Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl> wrote:
> * Roman Divacky <rdivacky@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> can tmux be configured to be 100% compatible with screen? if so
>> are we going to ship with such a config on default?
>
> Well, we could ship a screen-like config in /usr/share/examples, but in
> my opinion we shouldn't enable this by default. It only makes it more
> confusing when people switch to different operating systems that don't
> use this config. I do think tmux's use of ^B instead of ^A by default is
> a bit awkward...

^A is rather comfortable with my Caps Lock key swapped with Ctrl.  If
the escape character of tmux can be configured to be ^A in the personal
startup configuration of each user, the awkwardness of ^B is really a
very minor issue.

IMO, a sample screen-like config in /usr/share/examples will go a long
way towards making tmux in the base system a comfortable and viable
screen alternative :)

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--