Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 12:29:19 -0800
From:      Hooloovoo <xyzzy@ns.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        eirvine@tpgi.com.au
Subject:   [Fwd: a little tcp/ip problem...]

--------------07BEF86A8EB72005B1AE8DA3

some more information:

i ran tcpdump again on BSD, with the -e switch to show link level packets, and tried to ping it from NT. again, the hub showed activity but no packets were received. this seems to me like a problem with the device driver for the network card.

now, when i first went to install, i noticed in The Complete FreeBSD that the driver for my network card was the ix driver. however, this driver did not exist on the installation media. after poking around on the net i found out that the ix driver had been superceded by the ie driver in a previous version of FreeBSD.

is it possible that i have an earlier version of the EtherExpress 16, which is not compatible with the ie device driver? and if so, is it worth trying to track down the ix driver and try it?

--
---[ Hooloovoo ]-----------
--

Hooloovoo wrote:

> [...]

o add NT arp entry on BSD, try again
  - now see ip frames (icmp echo request)
  - hub activity: Tx & Rx light BOTH ports
  - however no response comes back
  - NT shows no frames incoming

ping from NT
------------
o timed out
o start utility which shows frame type and count, but that's all
  (unfortunately i could not find an NT port of tcpdump), try again
  - now I see arp frames (i assume who-has/tell)
o add BSD arp entry on NT, try again
  - now see ip frames (i assume echo request)
  - hub activity: Tx light for BSD, Rx for NT (why only 2? and if so,
    i would expect them to be the other way around...)
  - no response comes back
  - BSD shows no frames incoming

does anybody have any ideas? i am kinda stuck...it's a bit difficult to
install software without the network running :(

<HTML>
i need some help, and i am hoping you can either assist me or at least
point me in the right direction. i posted this same message to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
and to the FreeBSD.WWWBoard, but i haven't gotten a response. ok, granted
it's only been a couple of days...

<P>i installed freeBSD and i am having major trouble getting the network
to function. i have the BSD machine and an NT machine on a 10BaseT Ethernet.
the BSD machine has an Intel EtherExpress 16, which took a while to get
configured, but now seems to work properly. according to the freeBSD handbook,
and the output from ifconfig and netstat, everything should be working.

<P>i believe the problem is NOT hardware, because if i reboot the BSD machine
into Win95 (uh! blasphemy!) both machines see each other just fine.

<P>here is--roughly--what i have tried so far:

<P><TT>ping from BSD</TT>
<BR><TT>-------------</TT>
<BR><TT>o no response</TT>
<BR><TT>o kick off tcpdump in background, try again</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - now I see arp frames (who-has/tell)</TT>
<BR><TT>o add NT arp entry on BSD, try again</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - now see ip frames (icmp echo request)</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - hub activity: Tx &amp; Rx light BOTH ports</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - however no response comes back</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - NT shows no frames incoming</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>ping from NT</TT>
<BR><TT>------------</TT>
<BR><TT>o timed out</TT>
<BR><TT>o start utility which shows frame type and count, but that's all</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; (unfortunately i could not find an NT port of tcpdump),
try again</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - now I see arp frames (i assume who-has/tell)</TT>
<BR><TT>o add BSD arp entry on NT, try again</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - now see ip frames (i assume echo request)</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - hub activity: Tx light for BSD, Rx for NT (why only 2?
and if so,</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; i would expect them to be the other way around...)</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - no response comes back</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp; - BSD shows no frames incoming</TT>
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>does anybody have any ideas? i am kinda stuck...it's a bit difficult
to install software without the network running :(
<BR>TIA

<P>--
<BR>---[ Hooloovoo ]-----------
<BR>--