Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:46:26 -0800
From:      "Nerius Landys" <nlandys@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mouse sensitivity

I'm wondering if it's possible to adjust the sensitivity of the mouse - that
is, the amount of physical distance I have to move my mouse before 'moused'
moves the cursor by one unit.  I'm not talking about acceleration here.
Purely a linear scaling is what I mean.  I think we can leave Xorg out of
this discussion for now - I am talking about console here.

In '/etc/rc.conf', I can specify 'moused_flags="-a 2.0"' for example.
However, what this does is make the tick of the mouse be in 2 unit
increments.  So, where the '-a 1.0' flag would move the cursor one unit at a
time, '-a 2.0' moves the cursor two units at a time, and as a result, we
lose some fine-grain mouse resolution.

OK, now maybe I'll mention Xorg.  I have a dual boot with Linux.  In other
words, it's all the same hardware - the mouse and everything.  If I set
'moused_flags="-a 2.0"' in FreeBSD, the mouse cursor starts moving in two
pixel increments (in Xorg) and thus loses resolution (note: also moves in
two unit increments in console).  So I'm leaving 'moused_flags' out of my
config.  Now, in both Linux and FreeBSD the cursor is able to move one pixel
at a time in the X and Y directions (verified this with a magnifying
glass).  However, in Linux, I need to move the mouse half as much to get the
cursor to move one pixel.  Is there a way to speed up the mouse on the
FreeBSD side as well?  Would this way of speeding up the mouse also speed it
up in the console?  Because my Xorg uses /dev/sysmouse, I believe that the
console pointer and the Xorg pointer are related.

I'm aware of the 'xset' utility, but this does not seem to do anything for
linear scaling, only acceleration.  Also, it [of course] has no effect on
the console pointer.

I'm pretty new to FreeBSD, but I'm liking it!