Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 16:04:52 +0000
From:      "Ian Kallen" <ian@gamespot.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org, support@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: How does one add an addtional disk to an existing freeB

I appreciate you bearing with and indulging me on this one...
OK, maybe there are bugs in sysinstall?  I'm using freeBSD 2.1.

The new disk is partitioned so I went into sysinstall > Custom > Disklabel
Editor (selected my new disk, sd1) and my display looks something like this:

                        FreeBSD Disklabel Editor

Disk: sd1       Partition name: sd1s1   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)
Disk: sd1       Partition name: sd1s2   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)
Disk: sd1       Partition name: sd1s3   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)

Part    Mount            Size Newfs   Part
sd1s1e  /data1           99MB UFS Y
sd1s2e  /data2         300MB UFS Y
sd1s3e  /data3          610MB UFS Y

The following commands are valid here (upper or lower case):
C = Create      D = Delete         M = Mount   W = Write
N = Newfs Opts  T = Newfs Toggle   U = Undo    Q = Finish
A = Auto Defaults for all!

when select "w" to write the configuration I want, I get this error:

+--------------------------- Message -----------------------------------+
 |You must partition the disk(s) before this option can be used.  |
+----------------------------------------------------------------(100%)--
                                    < EXIT >
+------------------[ Press enter to continue ]-------------------------+

It appears that sysinstall's Disklabel recognizes that the disk has
been sliced up until it's asked to newfs...

Is there a way to run the command-line disklabel without it requiring
editing the /etc/disktab (again, the disk is another SCSI Connor
1gig, just like the boot drive) ?  Then I could command-line newfs 'em
and add them to the /etc/fstab (which for me, is the expected course
of action, not sysinstall).

So where am I going wrong??
Thanks for you help!

> Date:          Mon, 24 Jun 1996 15:03:48 -0700
> From:          "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>

> > There must be a straight forward procedure for fdisk, disklabel and
> > newsfs to add additional disks to an existing system.  I just can't seem
>
> In all recent releases of FreeBSD, /stand/sysinstall serves that
> purpose.
>
> 					Jordan

Ian Kallen                           ian@gamespot.com
     Director of Technology & Web Administration
            http://www.gamespot.com