Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:38:42 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Packages and Ports

On 2002-03-29 23:29, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
> >> Yeah, but I have 14 CDROMS, with 6000+ packages. I think it is lame that
> >> they didn't include some kind of master index with them.
> >You have 14 CDROMs from three different distribution packages. How
> >could they have included a master list for you without knowing which
>
> Actually, 10 of them come from my "BSD Power Pak 4.4" package that I bought -
> the 4 installation disks and 6 toolkit disks. I think at the very least,
> the installation disks should have their own master index, and the toolkit
> disks should too.

You could also write a small shell script that generates an `index' of the
cdrom mounted under /cdrom and run it once through the 14 CDROMs.  This way
a master index will be saved in your disk, and you can use grep/sed/awk or
whatever you feel comfortable with, to search the disks :-)

Just an idea,

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/