Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 01:41:55 +0900
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Old compiler (3.3-stable -> 4->stable)

Greetings,

I'm having some hard time getting a machine upgraded from 3.3-stable to
4-stable.

src/UPDATING says I would have to recompile the kernel before trying to
make world (my system was built before the S-day).  However, when I try
to compile the kernel (and modules), by doing `make kernel' in src, I
get two types of errors:

* -mpreferred-stack-boundary, used in bsd.kern.mk, is unrecognized by
the compiler installed in the system.  This can be worked around by
commenting out the offending option from bsd.kern.mk.

* Then, while compiling sys/i386/i386/bioscall.s, as complains it has
seen an invalid x86 assembler instruction on the *standard input* (i.e.
does not say exactly where it has).

Judging from the above, it seems that the system compiler has to be
upgraded first (i.e. make depend all install in src/gnu/usr.bin/cc and
src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/as at least).  But, as said above, my system
was built before the S-day, so I'm afraid if there'd be any side effect
caused by doing so.

Could anyone shed a light on this?

Thank you in advance,
Eugene