Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:27:22 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Kenny" <mail@crshjnke.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: same problem trying to run make on all kernel configs.   error and kernel config included

[Context lost to top posting]

Kenny <mail@crshjnke.com> types:
> Yeah its the weirdest thing...
> Maybe something has changed since 4.2-4.3?
> I am following the exact directions from
> http://www.defcon1.org/html/Software_Articles/Commands-Flags/cvsup-build/cvs
> up-build.html

Outlook Express mangled the URL. I'm not sure it can be set to behave
correctly, but you might look into it <URL:
http://www.lemis.com/email/fixing-outlook.html >.

This site is badly out of date. In general, I don't trust the
alternative sites that attempt to duplicate the information in the
handbook. They typically aren't audited by members of the FreeBSD
team, and don't have as many people checking them and reporting
problems - assuming they have a PR system at all. The net result is
that they tend to get out of date, and stay that way. If the same
effort had been invested in improving the online docs, everyone would
be better off.

> I ran cvsup again
> then ran make buidlworld
> just in case something was messed but I am still getting the same error.
> I am not trying to use IPFILTER or any other firewall stuff ....
> If you could take a look at defcon1 maybe i am missing a new step required?
> I have looked through the handbook and everything seems the same.

Are you by chance looking through the handbook on your system, which
hasn't been updated to match your sources? The online version gives
correct instructions in section 20.4.7, and it differs from
defcon1. You can find the same information in /usr/src/UPDATING, under
COMMON ITEMS.

	<mike