Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:21:07 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>, "'questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The message was delivered with a warning.

Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Chris Johnson wrote:
>
> > I've tried to contact the address you're told to contact, but my message
> > bounced, perhaps because of the foul language I used in it.
>
> Greg Lehey has contacted them, I have written to censor@ previously,
> I've just sent another message to postmaster@ which I think will have
> exactly the same effect (ie bugger all). I suspect half the people on
> this list have complained to them, and they have still taken no effect.
> Anyone near to them have a LART handy?

I sent one to postmaster (it bounced) as well but I made sure _not_ to
CC: it to -questions so as not to get even more MIMEsweeper spam.
However, in the back-quoted message (i.e. not in the header) the was
the string ``cc:freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'' and guess what?...this
crap piece of software picked that up and when it sent out it's spam
it CC'd it to -questions!!!

Anyway, Martijn Koster has 'phoned them and posted the reponse....

  I just phoned up a Mr. Peter Lennon, who runs the IT department at
  that school, just to see if he was aware what was going on.

  He explained that their internet access was recently reconfigured,
and
  now under control of a contractor running a firewall upstream from
  him. It's their naive filter that is causing the grief. They've been
  made aware of it, and are working on a solution. So, fixing this
  situation properly is underway but may take a little time. In the
  meantime he has asked for his address to be removed from the list, a
  request I believe Doug White is dealing with.

  He asked me to just tell the list, so everyone knows the problem is
  known, being addressed, and not his fault.

  Martijn Koster, m.koster@pobox.com

> --
> Ben Smithurst
> ben@scientia.demon.co.uk
>
> send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com