Date:      21 Mar 2002 05:23:44 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Quincey Koziol <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem books?

Quincey Koziol <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu> writes:
> Hmm, what set of the POSIX filesyetem semantics are you talking about?

The ususal file and directory manipulation functions - open(2),
read(2), mkdir(2), stat(2) etc.  Think "directory" instead of "group",
and "file" instead of "object".

> Where is the best place to start looking into EA API stuff for FreeBSD?

des@des ~% man -k extattr
VOP_GETEXTATTR(9)        - retrieve named extended attribute from a vnode
VOP_SETEXTATTR(9)        - set named extended attribute for a vnode
extattr(9)               - virtual file system named extended attributes
extattr_get_fd(2), extattr_set_fd(2), extattr_delete_fd(2), extattr_get_file(2), extattr_set_file(2), extattr_delete_file(2) - system calls to manipulate VFS extended attributes
extattr_namespace_to_string(3), extattr_string_to_namespace(3) - convert an extended attribute namespace identifier to a string and vice versa
extattrctl(8)            - manage FFS extended attributes
getextattr(8)            - retrieve a named extended attribute
setextattr(8)            - set a named extended attribute

This is on -CURRENT, mind you.  -STABLE has some of it, but not all.
The other BSDs support the same API, while Linux is gratuitously
different.  OS/2 has had extended attributes practically forever, and
Windows NT and 2000 have similar facilities under a different name
that I don't recall at the moment.  On systems that don't support
extended attributes natively (Solaris, for instance), you can store
your metadata in a Berkely DB file.

> > That being said, HDF makes a neat interchange format, once you get rid
> > of the silly limitations on object size & count.
>     Hmm, which limitations are you talking about?

Those in HDF4 - I am aware that HDF5 eliminates most of them.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org