Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 12:07:43 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bwood@leland.Stanford.EDU (Brandon Wood)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation help

Brandon Wood stands accused of saying:

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD over an FTP connection and I can't get the
> installation program to recognize my Ethernet card.  When it tries to
> initialize the connection, it says "Error configuring device lp0".

'lp0' is, as the dialog _CLEARLY_STATES_, for a _parallel_port_ using a
laplink cable.  I can't imagine how it could be any more explicit 8(

> I have an Intel Etherexpress Pro/10 set on IRQ5, Address 0x300.  I ran
> the -c config utility and chose the Etherexpress driver and modified the
> IRQ and base address settings appropriately.  Also, when it asks for the
> memory address, does it mean the Flash Address, because that's what I
> tried.  I'm positive my network settings (IP, Gateway, etc.) are
> correct, so the error must be in the ethernet card's hardware
> configuration.

If this is the PCI EtherExpress, then you will have to use the latest -SNAP
release, as it's not supported in earlier versions.  Note also that PCI
devices are automatically configured, and can _not_ be managed with
userconfig.