Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 2014 15:43:14 +0100
From:      Andrew Turner <andrew@fubar.geek.nz>
To:        Jaemin Yoo <zaemin.yoo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: linking method for armv8 kernel build

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 23:05:41 +0900
Jaemin Yoo <zaemin.yoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I just began to download and build kernel for armv8 according
> to the following howto page. (https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64)
>
> I could create the kernel image without problem. But 'file' says
> it's dynamically linked. I expected statically linked image to load
> it on dram using uboot.
>
> Is it meant to be? or am I missing some configuration?

All examples of the FreeBSD kernel I've looked at say they are
dynamically linked. The requirement is the kernel needs to be loaded at
a 2MiB aligned address for the VA->PA translation to work. It will
create the page table so the kernel base points to the load address.

You may have problems loading it with U-Boot. It expects to be loaded
by the loader as it passes in the device tree. U-Boot has been found to
be difficult to support on 32-bit arm. Is there a reason to prefer it
over UEFI?

Andrew