Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:05:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru
Subject:   Re: Trouble with dynamic loading of C++ libs in PHP v4.02 on FreeBSD 4.1

In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0009150830350.49294-100000@iclub.nsu.ru>,
Max Khon  <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, John Polstra wrote:
>
> > Actually I now think we should simply build the crt* files from
> > gcc's "crtstuff.c" in the standard way, rather than having our own
> > versions.  The gcc versions are messy but they work fine, and they are
> > specifically exempted from the GPL as long as they are used together
> > with gcc.
>
> changes to crt* files to support DWARF2 are minimal, however.

The reason I think we should use gcc's "crtstuff.c" versions is that
it will make it easier for us to keep in sync with any future changes
they make.

> there were some problems with pthreads initialization (but David will not
> like the way I did it -- some files in contrib/gcc should be changed).
> this happened because we initialize pthreads from static object
> constructor (which is not the right thing anyway).

It seemed like a good idea at the time. :-) What is the problem --
is it that libc_r is initialized at the wrong time?  What would you
suggest as a better method for initializing the library?  I'd hate to
introduce a bunch of "if (!initted) { ... }" checks, since those add
runtime overhead on every call.

John